Why you should get involved with #FrugalFebruary


February is here, and with it being the shortest month of the year... it's the perfect time to try something new, or even take up a challenge. So here's where Frugal February comes in...

Being a 'millennial' (ugh did I seriously just use that word?) comes at a price. There's always a new bit of technology released that you just damn well need, or a new restaurant that's opened up to incredible reviews. There are Instagram accounts dedicated to making us feel envious of other people's lives and no matter what time of day or night I check my social media feeds, there is always something that catches my eye and makes me want to spend money.

So lets' put a stop to it and go back to basics - for an entire month. Grated, unless you're a child, it's likely you'll need to spend some money this month - those bills sadly aren't going to pay themselves, and you'll need somewhere to live, so don't forget about your mortgage or rent... but everything else? Now that - we can work on!

So how do you get involved, I hear you ask? Well let me give you a couple of examples to get you in the mood and think about how you can live frugally this month.


Beauty

First things first, aside from absolute essential purchases (e.g running out of something completely), it's time to cut back on beauty this month. If you're usually familiar with the layout of the high end beauty hall, why not try a month with only budget buys? Instead of a Space NK haul, try and just buy drugstore instead. If you already do buy drugstore, take it on step further and maybe try a pound shop beauty hall, or even a no buy!

Fashion

So you're a die hard Fshionista, who just loves keeping up with the trends... welcome to your challenge month. Instead of shopping in Topshop, try the charity shop! Instead of ASOS, head straight to ebay and set yourself a limit of £5-6.00 per item (inc. Postage)! I once managed to buy a perfect Topshop coat for £0.99 on ebay and years later, it's possibly the best online purchase i've ever made! If you really want a challenge this month, why not set yourself a challenge of selling X amount of clothes on ebay or Depop and using the funds you make to buy new clothes. 

Food

I don't know about you, but I have a particular bad habit of buying overpriced food. Wholefoods is one of my favourite places to shop, and it's a place where a half full basket can set you back over £100 a week! It's by no means cheap, so this month i'm setting myself a challenge to spend less on food, and become more creative, resourceful and inventive. Instead of going out for dinner at my favourite raw food restaurant, I'm going to challenge myself in the kitchen, and come up with a few recipes to use at home. Instead of grocery shopping, I'm going to try and use up as much as I can from the pantry, and bulk make meals to live frugally. 

Life

The best things in life are apparently free....so why not see what those things actually are this month. Grab your comfy shoes, and let's get exploring. If you live in London, then this will be a piece of cake! There are so many places to see and things to do without spending a penny! Why not plan a walking tour, or research online and set out on an adventure. Don't forget your packed lunch! 


So those are just a few examples on how you can save money and live frugally this month. To me, being frugal doesn't mean constantly living on a no buy, but instead really thinking about your spending decisions, and working out if there's a more economical alternative. It's not about buying the cheapest option, but the best option.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, will you be getting involved? Let me know in the comments!

Em xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment